Thursday, May 22, 2008

Toni Gonzaga: ‘I’m just lucky’

Toni Gonzaga is the star of several hit movies, host of a number of hit shows, and singer with two platinum-award winning albums. But for all of her success, she believes that it’s all due to luck.

“I think sa business na ito, 80 percent ang luck, 10 percent ang attitude, at 10 percent ang talent. That’s it for me. I’m speaking for myself,” she explains during the recent launch of her third album, Love Is… Her third album contains her renditions of all-time favorites, such as You’re In Love, If I Give You My Heart, Take Me, I’ll Follow You, Insensitive, Steep, I’ve Been Waiting, and Someone’s Always Saying Goodbye. There’s also an original composition, Incapable, included in the album.

“I know that I can do so many things. But I also know that someone out there can do so much more and so much better than I do. I’m just so fortunate that I’ve been given the chances and the breaks and I was blessed with luck.”

Luck is definitely on her side. Toni is currently one of the bestselling local recording artists. Her second album, Falling In Love, is a big hit, selling a whopping 29,000 units–despite the music piracy problem. Her record label, Star Records, adds that the album is continuing to sell well.

While she is flattered with the platinum and multi-media star monickers that have been bestowed on her, she realizes that they also carry some pressure. “When you’re in the business and people start to appreciate you and recognize your abilities and how you do your work, it’s flattering and overwhelming. But at the same time, it’s something that you don’t want to put into your head,” Toni explains. “Gusto ko lang siyang i-embrace pero ayoko siyang ilagay sa sistema ko.”

She believes that these names mean she has to live up to them, to prove herself worthy. “You have to prove yourself more and more every year and it does not stop,” she ends.

No comments: